Master of Business Economics (Leuven)
Master of Science
The programme emphasizes the acquisition of fundamental knowledge and skills in one area of specialization related to the corporate world such as international business, strategy and innovation, entrepreneurship, financial economics and marketing. By combining a choice for major and minor, you can fine-tune your personal graduation profile according to your own interests.
Choose your courses of study
What is the 'Master of Business Economics' all about?
Upon completing the Master of Science in Business Economics, you will be able to apply scientific frameworks independently and critically, allowing you to evolve continuously in a dynamic society. By combining this programme with initial specialisations from your bachelor's programme, you will develop deeper insight into a broad range of fields. The programme is structured around the choice of a major and minor discipline, which allows you to fine-tune your personal graduation profile, and to apply research- and evidence based management practices and tools in various domains. You will gain expertise in selecting best practices in management in today’s volatile, complex and ambiguous business environments. The programme equips you for both entrepreneurship and start-up management as well as for management and strategic decision making in established organisations.
KU Leuven occupies a leading position in management and economic research and is highly ranked by the European Economic Association. Top-level research and education complement and strengthen each other. The Faculty of Economics and Business Alumni Association includes many leaders of industry, ensuring excellent career opportunities for our graduates.
The Faculty of Economics and Business has close links with top business schools around the world, such as Copenhagen Business School in Denmark, University of Cardiff in the UK, Hanken in Finland, SKEMA Business School in France, the University of Illinois in the United States, the University of Sydney and the University of Adelaide in Australia, Queen's University in Canada, Tsinghua and Fudan University in China, PUC in Brazil, City University of Hong Kong and many more institutions both in Europe and overseas.
For students of the MSc in Business Economics, the faculty offers an additional semester at one of these destinations after completing two semesters in Leuven (“Extended Master”) as part of the Erasmus+ programme. Make your experience truly international by studying in different parts of the world.
Application deadline for 2019 - 2020
1 March 2019 (for non-EEA citizens)
1 June 2019 (for EEA citizens)
The current tuition fee is €922. The tuition fee for the 2019-2020 academic year will be determined in the spring of 2019. Please consult the website for the most recent information: www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees.
Is this the right programme for me?
You have an entrepreneurial personality with broad socio-economic interests. You are fascinated by the business world and would like to pursue a management career in strategy, international business or finance.
To start this programme, students need a solid background in economics or business economics. They should have acquired the basic conceptual frameworks of diverse areas in business economics and have a sufficiently broad view on the general economic and social contexts in which business operates as well as on the human networks within these organisations.
Specifically, students need:
- sufficient analytical skills which will allow them to complete advanced courses in management;
- background knowledge of other social scientific disciplines related to managerial sciences;
- sufficient knowledge of economics.
ObjectivesBuilding on previously acquired general economic knowledge and insights in business, the student is taught to judge complex business structures and propose creative solutions independently or in a team. He develops the skills to take on a management function in a company, he learns to fit decisions in with the whole structure of a company and assess strategic consequences for other departments of the company. He has a lot of specialised knowledge, but is also very versatile.
The programme consists of a compulsory part, a major and a minor and a Master's Thesis.
- The compulsory programme aims to lend the students insight into the strategic consequences of certain decisions.
- The major lends depth in a sufficiently broadly defined functional area, which trains the student for a management position with a wide variety of tasks within this area.
- The minor allows the student to choose between a further deepening of the area discussed in the major, or a broadening in other areas/disciplines.
Graduates generally take up managerial and/or research positions in business, national and international institutions, and in managerial functions at universities. Given the variety of skills acquired, you will be highly sought-after by a wide range of companies (from small firms to multinational corporations) in a variety of positions and sectors in Belgium or abroad.
You can pursue a career as:
- financial analyst
- financial manager
- project manager
- sales manager
This is only a small selection of the many options available to you.
Meet our students/alumni and read their success stories and testimonials here.
Start your career, during your studies
During your bachelor's and master's programme, you can participate in tailoring your own graduation profile by choosing a specialisation, a foreign experience, an internship, your own company....
Career Corner is the integrated career platform of the Faculty of Economics and Business. This platform allows you to find at a glance which events, workshops or training courses you can attend to start or further develop your career. Here you will also find an overview of many job offers and internships, specifically tailored to FEB students.
For students wanting to start their own business we also have Lcie, the KU Leuven community that encourages students with innovative and entrepreneurial ideas.
Faculty of Economics and Business
Main Building Leuven
3000 LEUVEN, Belgium
Faculty of Economics and Business
House of students Campus Leuven (Student office, study career consultants)
Naamsestraat 61 box 3551
3000 LEUVEN, Belgium
Tel.: +32 16 32 66 12
- The website of the Faculty of Economics and Business
- The website for prospective students
- The website for current students
I have a question
In case of questions regarding the study programmes, admission requirements, application procedure, certificate & diploma’s, tuition fees etc. please complete the contact form on our website.
- Specifieke lerarenopleiding economie (Antwerpen)
- Master of Actuarial and Financial Engineering (New programme as from 2018-2019) (Leuven)
- Master in de actuariële en financiële wetenschappen (nieuw programma vanaf 2018-2019) (Leuven)
- Master in het informatiemanagement (Leuven)
- Master in de accountancy en het revisoraat (Leuven)
- Master of Business and Information Systems Engineering (Leuven)
- Master in de handelswetenschappen (nieuw programma vanaf 2018-2019) (Brussel)
- Master of Business Administration (New programme as from 2018-2019) (Brussels)
Access after preparatory, bridging or abridged programme :
- Master in de economie, het recht en de bedrijfskunde (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de economie, het recht en de bedrijfskunde (voor (bedrijfs)economische vooropleidingen) (Leuven)
- Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen)
Admission requirementsMaster of Business Economics (Leuven)
In the context of the wellbeing law certain data must be stored for each student and they must be informed timely on the subject of:
- the risks to which the student is exposed during the study programme (practicals, traineeships, master's theses,…)
- the associated preventive measures for each risk, such as medical follow-up, personal protective equipment and instructions.
ECTS + DURATION
60 ECTS (1 year full-time)
1st semester: end of September -> end of January (exams in January)
2nd semester: half of February -> July (exams in June)
1 March (for non-EEA citizens)
1 June (for EEA citizens)
TUITION FEE 2018-2019
€ 922 for EEA students
€ 1750 for non-EEA students
Most recent information on www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees