Master of Educational Studies (Leuven)
Master of Science
The Master of Science in Educational Studies offers a research oriented programme providing broad expertise related to the field of education. The faculty offers a challenging and dynamic study environment with a strong link between research and teaching. Its degree programmes provide a varied, appealing and research-based education of high academic quality.
Choose your courses of study
What's the Master of Educational Studies all about?
- a thorough understanding of several theoretical approaches and methodologies to study, evaluate and discuss educational issues;
- the necessary competencies and skills to conduct educational research, design instruments, develop training modules and curricula, guide and evaluate innovation processes and to engage with the historical and global aspects of education;
- insight into instructional psychology, intercultural education, school development, professional and continuing education and educational policies.
The programme primarily aims to provide in-depth knowledge in one or more subdomains of educational studies (basic educational topics, instructional science, educational policy and adult education), but also offers advanced knowledge of educational processes, policy, innovation and research.
Through individualised assignments and research seminars, theexperienced teaching staff will provide you with an overview of basic theories and recent developments in the field of educational studies. In your master’s thesis you get the opportunity to work with KULeuven professors on their research.
Beyond fine-tuning your theoretical insights, you will come to grips with macro-, meso- and micro-processes, as well as methodological skills. Your research-based master's thesis will help you to both develop your aptitude for scholarship in the field and to contribute to it at the same time.
The programme broadened my knowledge and deepened my concern regarding pertinent educational issues. The program also helped improve my research skills.
Application deadline for 2017-2018
1 March 2017 (for non-EEA citizens)
1 June 2017 (for EEA citizens)
KU Leuven uses an online application system. You can download and submit your application form via www.kuleuven.be/application. Students with a Flemish degree can consult www.kuleuven.be/studentenadministratie.
The current tuition fee is 890 euro. The tuition fee for the 2017-2018 academic year will be determined in the spring of 2017. Please consult the website for the most recent information: www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees.
Is this the right programme for me?
- You seek to develop a research-based understanding of educational processes, taking into account the various factors that play a role at the level of day-to-day practice, organisation, educational policy and society.
- You are driven by a will to learn how to optimise education through more advanced, evidence-based practices and policies.
- You have a sound methodological competence, a good basic knowledge of theoretical frameworks and basic insights in the historical, philosophical, socio-economical and socio-cultural embeddedness of educational processes and dynamics.
ObjectivesThe main objective of the program is to encourage a profound knowledge and a deep understanding based on scientific educational research for those people who have already obtained a professional or academic degree and strive for a career in the field of education. The program offers a thorough understanding of educational models and insights in methodology, pedagogy and education to define educational issues and create learning environments to support and optimize the educational development of people (from early years to adulthood).
The Master of Science of Educational Studies embodies a scientific-professional and critical-reflective attitude and has attention for contemporary and societal developments and for the growing complexity in educational processes. The master is systematically and profoundly trained, is competent in translating research results to educational practices and is trained to approach educational issues in the practice of the classroom and the school in a scientific way and to give a justification for his/her approach. .
The master demonstrates concern and an engagement towards the education of young children and adults and a loving care and attention for the learning abilities of each person.
Master of Science in Educational Studies graduates go on to pursue careers as educational advisors, coordinators or managers in schools or in other educational settings. They are also qualified to play a role in the design and implementation of educational policies, in labour organisations and organisations concerned with vocational and professional education, as well as in community education and lifelong learning.
Successful graduates are also equipped to participate in research projects in Belgium and abroad and may go on to undertake a PhD before embarking on an international career.
I wanted to understand education so I could work in it. A guiding motive was the transition from the corporate sector into the NGO sector. The combination of my IT background and the academic foundation this programme gave me the perfect step into my new job.
Visit the faculty website
Study Advice Service
Naamsestraat 80 box 5415
3000 LEUVEN, Belgium
To contact us, please complete the contact form on our website.
Admission requirementsMaster of Educational Studies (Leuven)
In the context of the wellbeing law certain data must be stored for each student and they must be informed timely on the subject of:
- the risks to which the student is exposed during the study programme (practicals, traineeships, master's theses,…)
- the associated preventive measures for each risk, such as medical follow-up, personal protective equipment and instructions.