Acquintance with the practice of the scientific research, more in particular learn to exercise the different steps that are gone through in scientific research, under supervision: formulating a scientific question, internalizing relevant data from literature, operationalisation from the research variables, executing the research, analysing the data, feedback to the questioning and reporting...
The student is expected to have a basic and focussed knowledge concerning the field Theory and Research.
Articles and literature
Toledo / e-platform
Is also included in other courses
- Master of Psychology (Abridged Programme) (Major Subject: Theory and Research) 60 ects.
After finishing this course module, the student is able to:
- go through the different steps of the empirical cycle for empirical research questions in a scientifically justified way. This also implies a critical assessment of the questioning, research design, data collection and analysis and interpretation and justify the choices made.
- function independently, based on the acquired methodological and disciplinary knowledge, but also support a research team (that possibly is multidisciplinary) in the approach of the psychological aspects of research questions.
- Trace, understand, interpret an relate, to the research project, publications of an advanced level, relevant for the research project, and justify this to the others involved.
- be open for the perspectives of all involved, and integrate feedback in the own work after consultation of the others involved, and if necessary even (re)adjust the own points of view.
- Reflect on the own functioning and thus recognize the own strong points and limitations and take them into account. This also makes the student take steps to make an appeal to the expertise of others in case of own shortcomings (eg. concerning data-analysis or specific theories).
- Furnish a contribution to the development of psychological knowledge by setting up a research and relate to the existing literature.
- Treat participants in scientific research and scientific assistants in a (multidisciplinary) research team in an integer and responsible way.
- communicate the advices and interventions written and orally to colleagues, other scientists and the broader society on an advanced level. Presentations in the research group, on national conferences, writing manuscripts that will be presented for publication are some example thereof.
- apply the competences of a theory and research-psychologist in a real reasearch setting, keeping into account the ethical values and norms and diversity.
- Further develop and critically reflect on the own functioning in a professional context.
Description of learning activities
This course is also included in
16 to 20 weeks of research work placement in an accepted research group in a university or another research institute. The student acquires the necessary competences by independently doing scientific research. More particularly, the student will have to master formulating a scientific question, familiarize with the relevant data from the literature, operationalisation of the research variables, executing the research, analyse data, feedback to the question, and reporting. This takes place preferably by involvement in running research in the research group.
The student makes a final work under the form of a work placement report in two parts. A first (shorter) part consists of a short situation of the work placement location and the nature of the work placement activities, followed by a personal evaluation of the work placement period. The second (longer) part consists of a scientif report of the work placement activities, preferably written in the form of a scientific article.
Final work: work placement report and oral discussion thereof by student and work placement supervisor(s).