The student is able to design a structurally complex building (eg the roof of a railway station) or a work of infrastructure (eg a movable pedestrian bridge) with specific attention to the interaction between structure,construction,stability en architectural form.
The project education designing runs over the course of the 3 Bachelor years and the 2 Master years of the study programme and is constructed along various types of logic:
- from a simple to a complex programme and/or site
- from small to large: from furniture to an urban design
- living in all its forms: unusual living, living alone, living in rows, decked/linked living
- new construction and renovation
- diversity in construction programmes: living, public functions, urban spaces...
- diversity in sites: urban and periferal
- diversity in construction technology
- given programme or independent research
- doing an assignment separately or in group.
Every assignment is of course designed according to full architectural logic, but the teaching commission has emphasized that constructive logic should explicitly be present in all themes.
Through his/her study, each student will complete around 10 topics, each containing a number of characteristics from the list mentioned above.
During the programme reform to the BaMa structure, the teaching commission has striven to achieve a greater integration of different courses. This is why in the description of the themes a number of topics are mentioned that will return in different teaching activities.
In choosing the subsequent topical assignments, a special effort will be made to secure the correct order of the above-mentioned types of logic, i.e. the themes in the programme must be followed in this order. A theme therefore also constitutes the prerequisite of the next theme.
In the first Ma Architecture and for both options Architectural design and Urban project, the technical executions of design exercises A during the first semester and B during the second, will be merged for quotation for design exercises C.
Design assignment: designing a structure with a large span
- concise urban development analysis of the surroundings
- designing a structure with special attention to the use of large spans and the integration of the structure into the existing context
- global stability calculation of the designed structure with the aid of an interactive spreadsheet with graphic output (the use of which will be taught first)
- feedback of the acquired spreadsheet results to plan and design
- structural detailing and design of the major knots and joints in the structure
- visualising the designed structure by means of plans, sketches, computer renderings and/or a scale-model
- visit to the site and/or similar projects
Apart from introductory information, students' design process will be guided interactively.
Articles and literature
Examples and samples
Order of Enrolment
This course unit is a prerequisite for taking the following course units:
H03L6A : Architectural Design Studio 4C: Technical Building Design: Construction/Equipment
Is also included in other courses
- Master of Engineering: Architecture (Building Construction Design) 120 ects.
1. Achievements during the year
2. The curriculum followed by the student
3. Evaluation of the final product, which is presented by each student to a group of fellow students and to a jury.
The final score is a global evaluation en will be determined by the team of teachers.