The course wants to stimulate reflection on the social meaning of science and the role of communication, information and popularization. In addition the course offers an introduction to the scientific literature and empirical studies on science communication. Finally the concrete process of science communication (communication media, typology of communication, communication sociology) is investigated.
The course does not presuppose specific foreknowledge.
Articles and literature
Toledo / e-platform
Examples and samples
Is also included in other courses
- Specific Teacher Training in Mathematics (Specific Teacher Training Programme in Mathematics) 60 ects.
- Specific Teacher Training in Natural Sciences (Specific Teacher Training Programme in Natural Sciences) 60 ects.
- Master of History (Profile Cultural History since 1750) 60 ects.
- Postgraduate Studies in Science Education and Communication 20 ects.
- Master of Informatics (only 2nd stage) (Research Profile) 120 ects.
- Master of Engineering: Computer Science (new programme, start in 2010) 120 ects.
Good scientific communication assumes a clear insight into the aims and means of communication, and into the relative positions of scientist/expert and public. The focus is on creating a relationship based on mutual trust between science and public, to which scientists contribute to the solving of social problems, in continual dialogue with everyone involved. The course analyses the scientific communication by means of the historical development process, theoretical models and concrete case studies.
1. The relation science public (historical perspective, theoretical interpretation)
2. Scientific communication of deficit-model to interactive science
3. Means of scientific communication (science parks and museums, media, education, information, )
4. Feedback from public (public understanding of science)
5. Discussion of current files