Bachelor's degree paper (B-KUL-F0LH0B)
Toledo / e-platform
Order of Enrolment
You can only take this course if you only have to acquire maximum 72 study points in order to obtain the diploma.
Is also included in other courses
Linked to the presentation of historical research.
The students will elaborate a historical problem and will present the results of the personal research in a form they can chose themselves: a journal article, a website, an exhibition, a journalistic essay, a documentary, a text meant for a handbook of history. The students will write a text, which can be a fully argumented research paper as well as an extensive scenario for a final product, such as a website, an exhibition or a historical documentary. The final product should be a thorough historical study of a specific theme with a combination of a study of the sources and literature search.
The students will chose a theme depending on their major:
- Major Antiquity up till contemporary: the chosen theme links up with a period studied in the course 'Onderzoeksmethoden' - this period is, nevertheless, not the same as the period studied in the Exercise.
- Major Antiquity, major Antiquity: Archeology and major Antiquity: Ancient Near East: the chosen theme is situated in the domain of history of the Antiquity and links up with the chosen major (minor).
- Major Middle Ages: the chosen subject is situated in the domain of the history of the Middle Ages.
- Major Modern history: the chosen subject is situated in the domain of Modern history.
- Major Contemporary history: the chosen subject is situated in the domain of Contemporary history.
Description of learning activities
In a number of lectures we will discuss the available research themes (divided according to the period) and the possible presentation forms. Via seminars in small groups, divided according to the period, theme or form of presentation the students will be guided in their research. In theses seminars relevant literature will be discussed. The guidance will be supported via Toledo.