History of Church and Theology: Ancient Church (B-KUL-A01A6B)
Is also included in other courses
- Bachelor of Theology and Religious Studies (Abridged Programme) 105 ects.
- Bachelor of Theology and Religious Studies 180 ects.
- Bachelor of Linguistics and Literature (Specialization Module Culture and History in Antiquity) 180 ects.
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Option: Theology and Religious Studies) 180 ects.
- Bachelor of History (Major Subject: Ancient History) 180 ects.
After a brief introduction in which an answer will be searched to the question on the study of Christian Antiquity, the following topics will be discussed:
- The early Christian communities in/and the Roman Empire (outline of the political, economic and social situation of the Roman Empire; the origin of Christianity within a Jewish and Hellenistic framework)
- The origin of a Christian theology (dealing with the Bible; the origin of Creeds; councils; religious life; ascetism and monachism)
- Scriptures of the Church Fathers (Greek Fathers; Latin Fathers).
Course notes will be made available.