This course provides the analytical background to expansion strategies of multinational firms. It combines theoretical analysis with a case project analyzing corporate internationalization strategies in the integrated European market and a simulation game of strategic market entry decision making.
Articles and literature
Slides, transparencies, courseware
Is also included in other courses
- Study Abroad Programme in European Culture and Society (PECS)
- Master in de economie, het recht en de bedrijfskunde (Business Law and Strategy) 120 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen (Major: Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship) 60 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen (Minor: Marketing) 60 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen (Minor: Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship) 60 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur (Minor: Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship) 120 ects.
- Master of Business Economics (Major 1: Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship) 60 ects.
- Master of Business Economics (Minor 1: Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship) 60 ects.
The theoretical part focuses on market entry strategies against the background of the rise in global market integration and innovation-driven competition. It examines the different push and pull factors of market entry decisions, with a special focus on foreign market entry (e.g. export, licensing, joint ventures, greenfield entry) and international corporate restructuring (outsourcing, mergers and acquisitions, international relocation).
The empirical part of the course is designed to track the evolution of corporate structure of EU manufacturing firms in relationship with the ongoing European integration process and increase global competition. Students analyze a case study of a selected sector and provide a detailed description of the strategies applied by the firms in that sector with respect to market diversification, manufacturing (re)location, market position, and technological diversification. The project analyses how these strategies have been adjusted to meet the demands of increasing market integration. The second module of the empirical part of the course consists of a simulation game in which strategic corporate decisions are analyzed in a dynamic way.
Determination of grades
* The grades are determined by the course holder(s) (titularis), as announced via Toledo and the examination schedule. The result is computed and expressed as a whole number on a scale of 20.
The final grade is a weighted score:
- The paper (group assignment) is graded and counts for 60% of the final grade, the final exam counts for the other 40%. If the student did not obtain a sufficient score of at least 10/20 on the final exam, the final grade will be equal to the score obtained on the final exam. In this case, the score obtained from the paper will not be taken into account.
- Peer assessment is used to determine a variation of maximum 2 of the 20 points that are allocated to the group assignment.
Evaluation third examination period
* During an academic year, the student has 2 chances to participate to the exam: a first time during the first or second examination period, according to the course schedule, and a second time during the third examination period.
* The characteristics of the evaluation of the third examination period are similar to those of the first or the second examination period.
- Also in the third examination period, the (group) assignment is part of the final grade.
-Due to the characteristics of the assignment, the same grade of the first/second examination period will be copied to the third examination period
*Deadline: Term of deliverance and deadline will be determined by the lecturer (titularis) and communicated via Toledo.