The course provides strategic analysis for understanding the behaviour of the modern corporation in a rapidly changing technology-based global environment. The focus of the course is on conceptual models that are essential for understanding strategic management practice. Many of the concepts will be presented from a European perspective. The course objectives are:
- to develop understanding of the principles and concepts underlying international business and strategy formulation;
- to develop the ability to apply theoretical and empirical contributions in academic research to real world cases;
- develop skills in searching for, and making good use of, publicly available information on firms, countries and industries;
- develop a critical scientific attitude, i.e. the ability to formulate research questions and conduct research both independently and in team.
- Basic knowledge of microeconomics.
- The course D0M23B International Management, taking place in the second semester, could be recommended as complementary to this course.
Articles and literature
Slides, transparencies, courseware
Toledo / e-platform
Is also included in other courses
- Predoctoral exam
- Master in de economie, het recht en de bedrijfskunde (Business Law and Strategy) 120 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen (Major: International Business) 60 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen (Minor: International Business) 60 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur (Minor: International Business) 120 ects.
- Master in de toegepaste economische wetenschappen: handelsingenieur in de beleidsinformatica 120 ects.
- Master of Business Economics (Major 2: International Business) 60 ects.
- Master of Business Economics (Minor 2: International Business) 60 ects.
Introduction: recent trends in globalisation
Introduction to the major new developments in the theory of the firm (commitment, transaction costs, incentive schemes..) and how these developments can be applied to the MNE.
Why and how do firms invest in other countries?
How to reduce the risk of failure of innovations in global markets where innovation is an important component of MNEs long-term strategy. Which entry modes should be selected to reduce the risk of failure when entering new markets?
Globalisation and strategies of MNEs: cross-border M&A
Analyzes the recent wave in mergers in response to market deregulation and globalisation.
Globalisation and strategies of MNEs: international alliances
Specific topics related to technological collaboration, alliances
Description of learning activities
Lectures, guest lectures, as well as short assignments and case presentations by student teams
Textbook: Charles W.L. Hill ,International Business. Competing in the Global Marketplace. Eighth Edition, Mc Graw Hill Higher Eductation, 2011, NY
Determination of grades
* The grades are determined by the course holder(s) (titularis), as announced via Toledo and the examination schedule. The result is computed and expressed as a whole number on a scale of 20.
The final grade is a weighted score:
- Written assignments and active class participation counts for 25% of the final grade, the final exam counts for the other 75%.
Evaluation third examination period
* During an academic year, the student has 2 chances to participate to the exam: a first time during the first or second examination period, according to the semester of scheduling, and a second time during the third examination period.
* The characteristics of the evaluation of the third examination period are similar to those of the first or the second examination period.
- Also in the third examination period, the (group) assignment is part of the final grade.
-Due to the characteristics of the assignment, the same grade of the first/second examination period will be copied to the third examination period
*Deadline: Term of deliverance and deadline will be determined by the lecturer (titularis) and communicated via Toledo.