Study points: 3.00
This is a full-year course, lasting two semesters
Facultaire POC Ingenieurswetenschappen
Aims: The course aims to prepare students to function and communicate adequately in English within the field of technology. This course reinforces accuracy and precision in both grammatical form and vocabulary use. Moreover, the interactive workshop approach promotes the acquisition of various communicative skills.
Previous knowledge: Intermediate to advanced knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary as mastered in secondary school. At the start of the academic year, a diagnostic test of English is set.
The course consists of a number of modules:
A. Linguistic refreshing and remedial module
B. Communicative basic skills: expressing quantitative and qualitative data in English (manipulating numbers, fluctuations, graphs, process, infrastructure, achievement).
- Internal and external business communication: social contacts, receiving clients, partners, foreign visitors, suppliers... evaluation and instructions.
- Telephone conversations (informative and persuasive)
- Negotiation talk (project, assignment, persuasive)
- Presentational techniques and practical applications
- Meetings in English
- Written communication: letter, memo, e-mail, reports...
- (applying for a job in English)
Compulsory study material: syllabus by the language teacher (available at the course service ILT)
Recommended study material for the diagnostic test: basic grammar and basic vocabulary
Examination type: - oral with written preparation - written - continuous evaluation
Continuous evaluation of oral and written level through the course activities. These are mainly skills evaluations.